Exercise Is Medicine Malaysia (EIMM) is a programme spearheaded by the Society of Exercise is Medicine Malaysia. We want to make physical activity and exercise a standard part of preventing and treating diseases. In South East Asia the national EIM Task Forces are grouped into regional centre and Malaysia’s EIM Task Force falls under this South East Asian EIM Regional Centre. Exercise is Medicine Malaysia is the Malaysian chapter of the American College of Sports Medicine’s (ACSM) global Exercise is Medicine initiative. We have General Practitioners, Exercise professionals, sports medicine specialists, dieticians, physiotherapists, and Exercise physiologists etc. as our partners in our objective.
- To make physical activity and exercise a standard component of a prescription.
- To assist our disease prevention and treatment medical paradigm.
For physical activity to be considered by all health care providers as a vital sign (PAVS) at every patient visit, and those patients are effectively counselled and referred to qualified fitness instructors for their physical activity and health needs, thus leading to overall improvement in their health and long-term reduction in healthcare costs.
Our initiative Goals
- For health care providers to routinely consider physical activity a vital sign and to discuss with each of their patients their level of physical activity.
- For the Physician to either prescribe appropriate physical activity to each patient or to refer the patient to a certified health and fitness professional to get a physical activity prescription.
- To put in place a framework for allied health and fitness professionals to work with physicians in implementing the exercise plan.
- For the Public to begin to ask for and expect Physicians to discuss physical activity during each office visit.