The National Centre(OLD)
Exercise is Medicine Malaysia (EIMM) is an initiative that is focused on encouraging health care providers to routinely assess every patient’s physical activity levels during each visit. The assessment of physical activity should conclude with exercise clearance and prescription or referral for further evaluation or to an accredited fitness professional.
Exercise is Medicine Malaysia (EIMM) is the Malaysian chapter of the American College of Sports Medicine’s (ACSM) global Exercise is Medicine initiative. The national EIM Task Forces are grouped into regional centres, where our EIMM Task Force falls under the Southeast Asia EIM Regional Centre.
Our initiative goals
- For physical activity to become a vital sign, with health care providers routinely discussing it with each of their patients
- For the physician to either prescribe appropriate physical activity to each patient or to refer the patient to a certified health and fitness professional
- To put in place a framework for allied health and fitness professionals to work with physicians in implementing the exercise plan
- For the public to begin to ask for and expect physicians to discuss physical activity during each office visit
Exercise is Medicine Malaysia Guiding Principles
- Exercise and physical activity are important to health and the prevention and treatment of many chronic diseases.
- More should be done to address physical activity and exercise in health care settings.
- Multi-organizational efforts to bring a greater focus on physical activity and exercise in health care settings are encouraged.
What will the initiative involve?
Resources and tools, such as educational materials and an action guide, will be provided to guide healthcare and fitness professionals on how to prescribe physical activity in the ‘right dosage’ to prevent, treat and manage common chronic health conditions for patients.
Workshops will also be organized for healthcare and fitness professionals to train them on the principles and recommended protocols.